Thursday, August 04, 2011

Cholesterol

Last February I had a physical exam and while I was deemed healthy, the one concern was that my cholesterol was too high. My doctor thought I should go on a low dose of statin, because I was "already in good shape, and probably couldn't do much to change it."

Now, five months later I have been checked again and fall well into the "normal" categories. My doctor assumed it was the medication, but I haven't taken any! I used diet, exercise, lost a few pounds and take one fish oil pill each day.

Incidentally, my brother Jim (the mechanic) told me about fish oil. So why didn't my doctor tell me? Maybe the reason people take too much medication is because the doctors want to prescribe it. Obviously I didn't need medicine. I had never really "watched" my diet before. Now I do...

No comments: