Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Clearing Trails

While I haven’t been hiking as often as I would like, due to things like flooding, mosquitoes, heavy plant growth and lack of free time, I have wanted to get out into the woods again. I like the cooler months for hiking, and those long months are getting close now.

While I really enjoy hiking off-trail, I also use many of the existing trails. In fact, I am active in maintaining these trails when needed. Sometimes a tree or other plant may start growing in or across a trail. Then I need to remove it, by whatever means that I have available.

On other occasions, trees sometimes fall or are blown down by strong winds. Here again, if the logs aren’t too large, I will often remove them from the trail. Sure it can be difficult work sometimes, but a few minutes of effort to keep a trail open is well worth it.

No comments: