Monday, October 30, 2006

Recipe (Game Hens and Rice)

I have yet to share any recipes on my blog, though I am thought to be a pretty good cook. This is perhaps best explained by the fact that I really don’t use recipes, I just cook. Recipes usually have some ingredient that I don’t have. My mom learned to cook on a farm with whatever was in the pantry. This is how I cook too. I find it to be an enjoyable experience when I make up my own rules. Anyway, here is an outline for a fabulous dinner I made last Friday.

I took two thawed game hens, and spiced them with chopped onion, green pepper and a clove of crushed garlic. I also used a little thyme, cilantro, ground ginger, Lawrey’s Season Salt, salt and pepper, crushed red pepper and maybe some other stuff, I don’t remember. Then I placed them in a large roaster with about an inch of water in it. Then I poured wild rice in the bottom (spread out). Then I cooked this, covered, at 350 degrees (F) for one hour.

Next I removed the roaster, turned the hens over, added a little more water and then I spread a good amount of white rice (bulk) around the birds in the water. I also added a couple of peeled carrots and some peeled and quartered potato. Then I cooked this for another hour.

Once again I opened the roaster and poured in one can of cream of chicken soup and spread it over the top of the whole contents. I returned the roaster to the oven for about twenty more minutes.

Then I removed the roaster, and opened the cover to a fantastic, one-pot meal. The hens were well done and ready to fall off the bones (the way chicken is best!). The (white) rice soaked up the soup, and when scooped out with the well-cooked wild rice made a delicious mixture.

This was the first time I did this, so I told my dinner guest that I was experimenting. Fortunately, my cooking experiments usually turn out well.

No comments: