Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Feathers

While I was on my trip recently, I had the opportunity to visit the graves of Sacajawea and Chief Washakie in the Wind River Indian Reservation. The experience gained more significance after returning home. The Chief and I have a connection that I won't get into right now. I will only mention the feathers.

While I was doing my project work recently, I had a turkey feather at my desk where I worked. Since it had brought me much joy, I decided to return it to the wild when the projects (and my employment) ended. I hiked into the wildlife refuge where I volunteer and found a spot to set it, in the bark of a tree. On my way back out of the woods, I found a new feather in my path.

While visiting the graves in Wind River, I left a large goose feather at Sacajawea's grave and a fine turkey feather on Chief Washakie's grave. These were nice feathers, and though I have a good collection of them, they were so nice that I would like to keep them. I could think of no better thing, however, than to put them at the graves out there in Wyoming.

This past Sunday was the first day I had gone hiking in the wildlife refuge since returning from my trip. On my way back out of the woods, I noticed a pile of feathers in a small backwater pond. There were a total of seven, four wing (flight) feathers and three tail feathers. I fished them out, convinced that the Chief had given me seven feathers for my one.

The Medicine Wheel, shows that there are actually seven directions. There is East, West, North and South. There is also Up, Down and Center. On my trip I had gone in all of these directions as I crossed prairies, mountains and deserts.

Whether you believe in such things or not, I think my world is so much more enjoyable to live in when I don't discount the magic.

Feathers are very powerful and very beautiful. They are the thing that allows the birds to fly. I can also tell you from experience, that when an eagle flies over your head... and it is so close that you can hear the sound of the air rushing through its wings... it is a quiet sound that you will never forget.
KJC

http://users.ap.net/~chenae/spirit.html

1 comment:

Chump said...

"Whether you believe in such things or not, I think my world is so much more enjoyable to live in when I don't discount the magic"

How true it is.