Thursday, October 30, 2014

Why is Kmart Closing?

I went to the Burnsville Kmart recently. I literally had only minutes before I had to go to a meeting, but since the store is closing I wanted to see if I could get a deal on shoes; and boots for my son. I found both and all for 30% off.

When I got home that night, I knew the boots would be big on him, but when I looked at the two child’s boots that were tied together with a cord and had a cardboard tag with the size, I noticed that one boot was bigger. In fact, one was a size larger! They had sold me two different size boots and gave me a receipt that said, "no exchanges and no refunds" (because the Burnsville store is closing).

I was pretty upset so I contacted Kmart Corporate customer service online—and of course, they didn’t get back to me (very quickly).

So the next day, I went to the Kmart in St. Paul (because it is closer for me); and waited in line at customer service. And waited... Between the “competent” staff and the questionable customers, it was not good. I finally got to the front of the line and the first clerk said, "It’s from Burnsville," in the kiss of death voice. She showed the receipt to the other clerk (who seemed more senior) and said again, "look, it's from Burnsville."

I showed the new clerk the two attached boots and the two sizes. Then she asked, "What you want to do just get two the same?" I said, "Yes." "Run on back and see if we have some," she said. So I found a pair of matching boots and she let me switch them.

Then, five days later I got an email from a Kmart Corporate customer service representative. She copied the entire return policy that is on the back of a receipt (from a non-closing Kmart store) and sent it to me. I replied that this was no help at all.

Another day or two passed, and I received an email from an “email adviser” from “Kmart Help.” He told me that I can’t return the boots because they came from a “liquidated store.” I replied to him that he sucks and selling mismatched merchandise as a set to trick customers into buying is a bad policy and it might be one (of many) reason(s) the Kmart stores are continuing to close.

Update 10/31/2014: Received a phone message telling me to check email regarding this issue. Email apologized and offered a coupon for $5 off a purchase of $25 or more. I replied back as to where she could put the coupon...

No comments: