Friday, May 25, 2012

Social Media or Anti-Social?

Every morning I drive by a woman with a small boy about three-years-old. I have yet to see the woman interact with the boy, as she is always doing something on her phone. There was a guy texting while driving in both of our lanes this morning. I've been out to dinner with my wife and noticed couples out to dinner ignoring each other as they are talking or texting on their phones. I've seen family members at gatherings oblivious to those around them as they are absorbed in whatever is on their phone. Perhaps this should be called, Anti-Social Media.

While I enjoy connecting with friends by email and writing goofy things on my blog, I think many people are getting carried away. Perhaps the most insane waste of time is Twitter. Does anyone really have something important to say every few minutes--and is that activity possibly a giant waste of time?

I started a Facebook page for my novel, Cottonwood. I decided that since it was a promotion for the book, anyone could be my friend. When I actually took the time to see who these people were, I realized that I would not want to be friends with most of them--as they were promoting very questionable activities. So, I shutdown the Facebook and never looked back.

I think I prefer spending time with my friends and family rather than "connecting" with people through "Social Media."

No comments: