Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Accelerator Problem

There are many stories about accelerator pedal problems on automobiles these days. I actually had this happen when I was on the Gunflint Trail with my 2008 Ford Fusion. Traveling at 45mph, I had to stop and my car did not throttle down! I didn't realize what was happening at first. After I shifted it in neutral, the car worked fine, and has continued to work fine ever since. In fact, my trip to the dealer turned up nothing out-of-the-ordinary. We could not get the car to recreate the incident on the Gunflint Trail.

Perhaps we have too much automation on our vehicles. The old style cable that controlled the throttle may have been better than pressing a pedal and hoping all of the electronic components do what you want them to.

At any rate, I wanted to document this problem on my blog so I don't end up like Koua Fong Lee, who has spent three (of eight) years in prison for a crash that led to three deaths in 2006. I don't believe he was responsible. I think the car did not stop, but rather accelerated. He should be freed and given $1 million for each year he was locked up.

No comments: