Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Computer Support

I needed a power supply for a laptop. It's under warranty. I looked up the warranty to be sure.
I went on HP's website to setup a case, as I've done that before and it eliminates the language barrier.
After going around in circles on the website, I finally broke down and called HP. After being questioned and transferred in circles, I finally got "John" from India to help me.

I gave John the serial number, and I was then told the warranty had expired. I was also told it was a different model than I was calling about. Eventually, John figured out that the warranty is good for almost two more years.
Then I was asked numerous questions about the problem, which is that the power supply doesn't work but an identical power supply does work. Eventually John decided to order me a new power supply. This took another ten minutes while I was on hold.

Last week I had an onsite repair of a desktop. It took two trips each by two separate technicians and about 14 phone messages and six e-mails. Eventually I had to ask that the system board be changed and I had to fix the audio after it was replaced.

Is it because someone new handles each segment of the problem that it gets to be so troublesome, or is it so that you eventually give up?

No comments: