Friday, December 09, 2022

Is this Christmas?

As one of my childhood friends recently wrote eloquently about how Christmas has changed in light of losing loved ones, it made me think more about the changes I've seen. For long I have been dismayed by the fact that Christmas has become commercialized, and parents have taught their children to expect lots of fancy presents. Not only from themselves, but from the aunts and uncles. And some of these children, are now adults going to college. Even those who insist on praying before Christmas dinner, seem to advocate the orgy of ripping presents open and piling them up behind themselves without a single thought about where those presents came from. I've also noticed, how small families have been pushed aside, because they are an inconvenience for the parties and doings of larger ones. Occasionally a voice will ask for some changes, but there is always a self-absorbed mean person to put them back in their place. This is not what Christmas is.

This season, my Christmas wish is that people start treating others with kindness. My wish is that people stop slinging hate! My wish is that we can agree to disagree, and we can empathize with those less fortunate. I don't care about presents. All I want for Christmas, is some special time with friends and family that isn't dominated by other people's greed and self-interest. Christmas is better than that. In my memory, people used to be better than that. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but it seems that our society is hell bent on putting each other down if we don't agree and follow the mob.

Happy Holidays to all, and Merry Christmas. -KJC

No comments: