Friday, February 08, 2008

Inconsistent Policies

I have more than one job. One of them has expressed a "concern" about my blog. In the meantime, the coworker with a new baby has a blog about the baby and other coworkers are adding messages to it during work hours. This, apparently is acceptable.

I have no problem with the baby blog, in fact it is a fantastic idea. I don't like the subjective nature of what is or is not acceptable. With no clear written policy (just vague policy), it allows someone to "play god" and decide what is O.K. and what isn't.

How intrusive should this get? If in the course of my job I see that an administrator has church materials on a work computer should I report it? I hate that idea. People need a little bit of freedom. If the work is getting done, what is the problem?

No comments: