Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Job

Yesterday I was asked to setup the PC lab for NWEA testing. I have been at this job for nearly a month, and have had no training on NWEA testing. I waded through documentation, was blown-off by a tech support person (on the phone), and I tried to put this puzzle together. It felt like I was “shooting in the dark.”

This morning, I was back at it again. I had decided that the routing path was not right, and I needed to reload the software and direct the path to the correct folder on the correct server. Then I discovered that I could load the program once on one machine, and then copy it onto the network where I could then copy it into each machine and thus skip the installation process for the 25 PC’s.

I also had to change a few browser settings and import some data into a shared file on the network. Today felt better, like I might be doing it right. I hope so, but it is hard to come in with no training or experience in a huge application like this and just know what to do. Still, that is what I was asked to do.

No comments: