Skip to main content

The Job

Yesterday I was asked to setup the PC lab for NWEA testing. I have been at this job for nearly a month, and have had no training on NWEA testing. I waded through documentation, was blown-off by a tech support person (on the phone), and I tried to put this puzzle together. It felt like I was “shooting in the dark.”

This morning, I was back at it again. I had decided that the routing path was not right, and I needed to reload the software and direct the path to the correct folder on the correct server. Then I discovered that I could load the program once on one machine, and then copy it onto the network where I could then copy it into each machine and thus skip the installation process for the 25 PC’s.

I also had to change a few browser settings and import some data into a shared file on the network. Today felt better, like I might be doing it right. I hope so, but it is hard to come in with no training or experience in a huge application like this and just know what to do. Still, that is what I was asked to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hormel is Dumb: No More Little Sizzlers

We appreciate your interest in LITTLE SIZZLERS® Sausage. Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued. We value our loyal consumers and apologize for any disappointment our decision has caused. Please visit www.hormel.com for coupons, promotions and recipes using many of our other products.

SPRUCE Project

We were lucky enough to be given a tour of the SPRUCE Project in the Chippewa National Forest, North of Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Our tour guide was W. Robert Nettles IV, SPRUCE Project Operations Manager at Oak Ridge National Laboratory . I went into the site fueled primarily by my lifetime of interest in the natural environment; as well as my interest from volunteering as a park ranger in the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge. However, by the time I was done, my interest in technology, from over 10 years as an IT professional, was thoroughly peaked! Definitely off the "beaten path," in a spruce bog in Northern Minnesota, this site boasts an incredible array of scientific equipment that is supported by an amazing technological infrastructure! There are control sites and some of the chambers have added heat, carbon dioxide, or both. A lot of equipment and experimental testing goes on 24/7, 365 days per year. These guys know their stuff. The 10 chambers are connected ...

Measles Outbreak?

The people dying from measles are unvaccinated. This is preventable. Those who are pushing misinformation are participating in the cause of these deaths.