Friday, September 17, 2021

Rose-Hip Wine

I went through my "wine cellar" today, as I am preparing to bottle my Mulberry wine I made this summer, when I noticed that the rose-hip wine that I made when I was in Rhode Island, begin to push its cork up! This doesn't usually happen. But I made the wine in 2003 when I was living in Providence. I used rose hips that I gathered near the ocean. In November of 2003, I was preparing to come back to Minnesota and so I had to heat up the wine and try to stop the fermentation process so that I could bottle it early and bring it home. I had wondered from time to time if this wine would be any good or if I had ruined it. Obviously, I found out today, that I didn't completely kill the yeast because it had created enough pressure to slightly carbonate it, and also push the cork up.

Since this was the first Friday in a month, that an aging parent hadn't fallen or been hospitalized, this nearly 18-year-old wine, that selected today to come out, became our dinner wine--and the Edgar Winter Group, became the musical accompaniment. Both turned out to be exceptional. While I can't share the wine, you are welcome to listen to, "Autumn".

No comments: